The Group was called The Old Settlers Association.
In the 1930's or 40's this Organization disbanded
The Sargent C
ounty Historical Society was formed by several county residents. They stored some of their artifacts at the Sargent County Courthouse.
They set up some donated artifacts at the Sargent County Fair Grounds in the old Catholic Church Building. Then into the metal exhibit building at the Fair Grounds.
They moved all the artifacts into the old Wild Rice Soil Conservation Building on the North edge of Forman. This was a great building to be in because of the individual offices could be made into display areas.
The first new building was constructed in front of the old building. This building would house all of the clothing and wooden items, because it was climate controled to keep the mold and mildew away from these types of items.
Lyla Klefstad had the vision for the new building and it was built by her Son, Steve Klefstad and supplies were purchased from her Brother Stan Lewis's Lumber Yard, Sel Lumber in Forman. She got to see the building when it was finished, however, Cancer claimed her before all the artifacts were moved in.
Without Lyla's vision and Harlan and Lyla's dedication to support local projects the Sargent County Musem as it is today would not exist. So many thanks to the Klefstad Family.
The Second building would replace the old Wild Rice Soil Conservation Building.
This would house the booth displays that would depict the old time Town.
The General Store, The Post Office, The Newspaper Print Shop, Doctor, Dentist, etc
The other half of the building houses the antique buggies, and cars. Also, it displays the original Keller Loaders, which is the forerunners to the Bobcat Skid Steer Loaders of today.
The 1800's Territorial Log Cabin was acquired and moved in from the yard of Bob Cookson of Forman. This Cabin was originally located at Kindred, ND.
The One Room School House was moved in during the Winter from Willey Township. It was used as a School for a few years, but became too small, so the Zion Lutheran Church in the area acquired it and moved it next to the Church in the Country to be used for Sunday School Classes. There are still area residents that remember going to that Sunday School.
The Third building houses the farm machinery and the Rathert Tractor Collection, which consists of Steel Wheeled Steam Tractors and Gas or Kerosene Tractors.
Some of these Tractors are one of a kind or for some there is only 2 or 3 left besides the ones we have. Other tools that were used on farms are also on display.
Who we are:
The Sargent County Historical Society
The Sargent County Museum.
This organization is one that wishes to preserve the artifacts from the past for those to enjoy in the future. Without saving these items now, the children of the next generations will never know what their ancestors worked and lived with.
About 90 percent or better of the items located in the Museum,are artifacts that were used by residents right in Sargent County. This in itself is an amazing fact, let alone the sizes of the buildings that house these items. What other rural area with the small
number of people can say they have such a tremendous facility.
Then also to be able to say that we have several family collections. Such as:
The Keller Loaders, forerunner to present day
Bobcat Skid Steer Loaders
The Rathert Tractor Collection, consisting of:
Steel Wheeled Steam Tractors
Steel Wheeled Gas or Kerosene Tractors
Some of these are:
Rumley, Oil Pull, Minneapolis,
Big Bull, Little Bull, etc.
Klefstad farm equipment
Allis Chalmers Tractor
President: Ron Narum
Vice President: Orville Nelson
Secretary: May Bopp
Treasurer: Doris Hoistad
Curator: June Fritzen